What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A good terrarium animal?

Hey Everybody,

What are good terrarium animals?

I have 1 nep, 2 drosera, and several seedling vfts.

I have a large terrarium with about 4 inches of water in the bottom, circulated by a submersible pump. Mini milk crate baskets sit in the water to support a plastic grid up above the water that potted plants sit on. Moss grows on the grid.

I have Neps, a Ceph, and Sundews in there. The critters in there are about 50 guppies, a fire bellied toad, a salamander, and an algae eater - since it's impossible to clean the algae that forms below the grid.

The toad hops all around in there, on top, and swims in the water too, translocates plants and seedlings sometimes. The salamander is seldom seen - you never know where it will pop up. One time he poked his little head out from under the rosette of many N. ampullaria pitchers - but I had no film to capture the moment. The critters have been in there over two years - never had to rescue them from any of the pitchers. I was thinking of maybe adding a baby crayfish or something to help cut down the ever exploding guppy population.

I water the big Neps in there once a week, then the same day change out the yellowed water in the bottom.

WildBill

Mell2003,
For sure you will remove the vft's when its time for a dormancy, right? They wont last long with the tropical nepenthes and possible tropical drosera.

If you keep it tropical, you can have a whole array of nice herptiles. If you add some light for the plants, try some dart frogs or a tree frog or two. If your tank is quite large and you can provide a small basking area and UV bulb, try some small aboreal lizards, like anoles.

The Drosera are adelae and capriallis (spelling?) are they tropical? and yes I am trying to get rid of the dionaea now.

(slightly off topic) Bill, your setup sounds really neat. Would you happen to have a pic?

I was thinking of doing something similar with a River Tank System and keeping amazon fish who wouldn't mind the peat in the water. Yours sounds alot more simple, not to mention affordable.

I have been meaning to take some photos. Several people have asked. I need to get some film. I will take 3 or 4 shots and strip them together into one image in photoshop.

WildBill

What size of terrarium is it? because I've been wanting to do something like that with utrics and a larval salamander but I think it might eat the utrics are tiger salamander larva omnivorous?

Yes, newts are omnivorious, and they will eventually undergo metamorphosis when they will become both terrestrial and CARNIVOROUS!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back