What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few winter bog photos from Ohio

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, I finally have photos from all 4 Seasons for one bog here in Ohio. Below you will find a few photos of Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea in the snow. The plants have colored up well for the winter. They are all a deep purple.

Sarracenia_purpurea_ice.jpg

Single pitcher above the snow. Notice ice inside the pitcher.

Sarracenia_purpurea_snow1.jpg

Sarracenia_purpurea_snow2.jpg

The day was somewhat cloudy and most of the permitted area was shaded by the woods. I hope you enjoy these and I will be posting some photos of the surrounding area later in the week.

Very cool Nick,
I really like those.I just recently bought one from Lowes and hope to keep it for years.I had one a few years back and it collected quite a few wasps from around our house.I lost it in a t-storm that trashed it and my whole collection.Now, that I'm getting back into Cp again I plan on a mini bog outside with some other cold temperate species,any suggestions?
Mark W.

great pics as always, nick. are these from brown's lake? fwiw, my big purp is still wuite redish in color, even though it's been in the cellar for about a month now.

peace,
techno...

Yup, those are from Brown's.

Nice pics. If I had time I would have loved to met you yesterday to see the bog in the winter. Maybe I'll make it down there later this winter.
The purpurea's look alot better than mine right now.

Last year the water in my S. purpurea pitchers froze, and I took a couple of the "Pitcher Cubes" off and peeled off the leaf. I was left with a frozen cyrpt of my plants past captures. There were a few carpenter ants frozen in it. It looked really cool.
I really like the pics. Keep them coming.

Here are some comparision photos:

Bog Entrace Spring 2003:
BogEarlySpringEntrance.jpg

Bog Entrance Winter 2003:
BogEntranceWinter.jpg

Now for some more winter photos:
S_purpurea_clump_snow.jpg

S_purpurea_pitcher_in_snow.jpg

Browns_Bog_Winter_03.JPG

BogEndofBoardWalk.jpg

Browns_Bog_Frozen.jpg

The frozen bog lake.