What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few utricularia questions

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I've had some Utricularia longifolia for close to a year now. It has never had a whole lot growth. I was looking around the net and read that Utricularia longifolia grows as an epiphytic. The soil mix should be LFS, orchid bark, perlite, and a touch of peat moss. Too much peat moss will stunt it's growth. So I'm going to repot my Utricularia longifolia in that mix since it's mainly peat moss.
Now the next question. My Utricularia tridentata does not seem to have grown much either. I've looked around and can not find out the infromation I'm looking for on Utricularia tridentata. Does this grow best as a epiphytic or terrestrial soil mix?

Well, Utricularia longifolia is not an epiphyte, nor is U. tridentata. Both are terresterial species.

I find I get the best growth from my U. longifolia by giving it room to run. The majority of my plant has left its pot in favor of creeping along the bottom of my tray, and producing some huge leaves as a result. I grow both species in pure fluffy peat. If your U. tridentata has been with you for some time, it might be time to make a division of the plant which always seems to spark a period of expanded growth.

my tridentata was being a pain. it chose to grow on the lil island plug of LFS it came with instead of spreading into the peat. i have since planted it in pure LFS. i havent checked on it latly to see if its doing better. its in my Nep tank and not with most of my other Utrics that got moved to a 10 gal tank do to lack of sace in my Nep chamber. it is one of 3 Utric species that i have that arent in a peat based mix. i dont have longifolia yet but hopefully soon.

Rattler

Back