What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few Sarrs that have lost their ID tags

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
IMG_0770.jpg

I'm pretty sure the last one is S. x 'dixie lace', but the other three say the photos have been removed from Photobucket.

Capensis is right on both counts, the last one is dixie lace, and we can't see the top three!

Here are the ones that got removed:

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

I'm trying to determine if one is a flava 'Coppertop' and just what sort of purpurea that is. Also, what type of leucuphylla hybrid is in the top picture?

Birdseye view:

DSCF1695.jpg

1. Um...S. x 'Dana's Delight'?
2. Either S. x 'Scarlet Belle' or S. x wrigleyana.
3.....S. x 'Cobra's nest'? o_O

I agree dixie lace (1st post) Cpbra's Nest for sure in the bottom right of that pot. I have two of 'em look almost identical.

I agree with Dixie lace, dana's delight and wrigleyana, I really can't tell a scarlett belle from a Chagall or jest a plain wrigleyana.I have to disagree on the Cobra's nest. it is some kind of complex Purp hybrid looks kinda like the one that nurseyman's exchange had out last spring.
My2 cents

Okay, just to make sure we are all looking at the same mature plants, starting from the VFT and going clockwise:

VFT
S. 'Dana's Delight'
S. 'Wriggleyana' / 'Scarlett Belle'
S. 'flava Coppertop'
S. purpurea (venosa?)
S. 'Cobra's Nest'
S. 'Dixie Lace'
S. 'Judith Hindle'

There are a few baby Sarracenia hybrids mixed in, but I'm not asking about them... now.

Lois, BTW, that was the Dixie Lace you sent me a couple years ago.

Were they ever labeled (properly or not)? I looks like you are on the right track.

There is not enough detail on the S. purpurea or the "Copper Top" to ID it.

'Cobra's Nest' is difficult to ID because there are plenty of hybrids that look similar. The original description:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cpncultivars/v32.html

"....The fanciful name refers to the thick cluster of snake leaf traps.

This cultivar earned its patented status for its unique horticultural characteristics. It grows vigorously, year around, in a compact shape, about 25 cm (10 inches) tall. This is in contrast to many wild species, which turn brown in the Fall and go dormant. A flaring hood reflexes over the top of the hollow tube leaf. While ornamental, it is also a practical feature as it prevents leaf collapse when water or rain hits the plant from above.

Sarracenia ‘Cobra Nest’ is slightly more resistant to leaf edge browning from salt or fertilizer burn when compared to many wild species. Leaf traps open green, then turn red and maroon as they mature. The plant branches very freely, which gives it a full thick appearance, much appreciated by customers. Flowers are large with pink pendant petals, and white sepals, appearing after one year, in the summer.

Sarracenia ‘Cobra Nest’ is a hybrid that resulted from a six year collaborative breeding and selection program between me (Booman Floral), and Dr. Larry Mellichamp (University of North Carolina at Charlotte). Hundreds of thousands of seedlings were grown and evaluated during the selection process. The exact parentage of Sarracenia ‘Cobra Nest’ is unknown."

I suggest you wait until it flowers unless you know for certain you have 'Cobra's Nest' in your collection (by process of elimination).

'Scarlet Belle' can be found on the same page.

Warren,

Thanks for providing that article. The wriggleyanna came to me as such. I can't remember why or how Scarlet Belle was associated with the name. I can't tell the difference between that plant and this plant, which came to me as S. Scarlet Belle:

IMG_0722.jpg

The one that some are calling a Cobra's Nest came to me as an unknown purpurea hybrid. It does look a lot like the one that came to me as a Cobra's Nest:

IMG_0723.jpg

Back