What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few Sarr pics

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Sleuco.jpg

Sdd.jpg

This Sarr purpurea would be huge if it had a huge pot. I've split this plant last year. It has the 6" pot full again already.

Spurp1-2.jpg

Top view with a quarter.

Spurp-2.jpg

Spurpredblk.jpg

What's the second one down? It's fantastic!

That last purp has some great color. Does it have a special name description? Is it a cultivar?

Very beautiful! Is that Dana's Delight or Judith Hindle? This time of year seems to be especially favourable for them.

Thanks for the comments.

Alexis,
The second one down is S. Dana's Delight.

mannyherrera,
I picked that one up form Rob Sacilotto when I visited his place last year. He was crossing the reddest S. purps he could find to come up with the color of the plant. He calls it Sarracenia purpurea - Black/Red

This is what he emailed me when I asked him about the plant after purchasing it from him.

"The black-red purps. are really not properly either subspecies, although most of them are closer to ssp. purpurea because of the longer flower stalk. However, they have been extensively bred and mixed between the two subspecies and selected for color. Dark ssp. venosa and dark ssp. purpurea were crossed, selfed and evaluated. I'd just call 'em purpurea and leave it at that. At some point, I'm planning on registering the plant with a better description and explanation of their heritage."

Last edited:
Thanks Elgecko. I think I have that plant. At least, it looks like it. It was given to me as S.purp venosa 'Dark Red Pitchers'. But it looks like it has purp purp in it.

Doesn't any S.purp get that deep purple color if given enough light? ???

My three S.purps are all that dark color under my grow lights.

Doesn't any S.purp get that deep purple color if given enough light? ???

My three S.purps are all that dark color under my grow lights.

No.

These 2 S. purp grow outside beside each other and you can tell a big difference between the 2 plants. There is also a green form that has no red at all.

Waoo~:-O
All Sarracenia crowded the pot!!:-D
Really amazing! nice plant.
So, I need to change a huge pot with my Sarracenia.
elgecko, thanks to your info my friend.

Back