What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions on petiolaris complex plants

Cindy

Staff member
Hi, to anyone who grows them I have a few questions.

1. I'm now growing D. petiolaris and D. dilatato-petiolaris during florescent lights. Do they grow well in direct sunlight? Or in partial shade?

2. How large do they grow? The roots of D.petiolaris are already sticking out from the bottom of its 3-inch pot after like 2 months.

3. I'm using pure LFS for the medium. Any other mixture is good?

4. Overhead watering or tray system?

5. How do I tell that they are going into dormancy?

Thanks.  
smile.gif

1. Definitely direct sunlight over partial shade. these plants like it hot and sunny. Genrally, the more light and heat you can give them the better.

2. Drosera petiolaris grows larger than D. dilatato-petiolaris. In strong light D. petiolaris grows to around 5 inches across and D. dilatato-petiolaris to around 4 inches across. In weaker light the rosettes will be wider. Don't worry about the roots growing out the bottom, they don't mind this at all.

3. I prefer to use a very sandy substrate. Mine is approx. 3 parts sand to 1 part peat. They'll gorw OK in live sphagnum though.

4. Tray method is better as this keeps the water away from the leaves. The leaves are prone to rotting if they are kept wet and cool, especially during the dormant period.

5. Very easy to tell. The leaves will become progressively smaller until they cease production. At this time the watering should be kept to a minimum and the substrate be kept just barely moist.

Wow! Thanks, Seandew.
smile.gif
I hope they will grow well here in Singapore.
smilie4.gif

If any Drosera should grow well in Singapore, these should be the ones!

Back