What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few more details/update on progress

I'm kindof curious about the current state of the NASC. I often hear "we're getting this project established via back-channels." Well I am quite eager to see this project finally be established and I wish someone would shed a little light on the progress of the NASC.

•How is everything coming along?
-how close are we to... well... whatever we need to be close to? Is this a bonde fide conservancy yet? How is that going? Have there been any road bumps on the path to getting this project up and running?
-what about membership and so on? How exactly may that work?
-any prospective sites for housing the collection?
-is there a mission statement? (a REAL mission statement... not rambling propaganda)
-anyone developing a website?

-T

Well, I guess I havn't been keeping everyon as informed as I should (read: not at all).

For this, I apologize. I have had a few little roadbumps in the game of life but do not fret, all is well again. Now on to your questions.

•How is everything coming along?

It is coming together slowly but surely. Right now, we are in need of funding to get the incorp. articles filed and overviewed by a lawyer. Bug has been gathering bog mapping projects for us and many others have been working hard.

-how close are we to... well... whatever we need to be close to? Is this a bonde fide conservancy yet?

Well, I would like to say yes, but in a "legal" standing the answer is no. We have not filed for incorporation or not for profit status as of yet. We are planning a few fundraisers that will hopefully start very soon that will kick that mule.

what about membership and so on? How exactly may that work?

Still undecided. That is one of the things we need to discuss.

-any prospective sites for housing the collection?

Yes, we will be posting a report on that in the near future.

-is there a mission statement? (a REAL mission statement... not rambling propaganda)

Yes there is, I would like to post it, perhaps at the end of today. I just need to make sure we have it as finalised as possible before making it public.

-anyone developing a website?
Actually, Carl Mazur himself is making us a website. I think Noah was handling the re-routing or webspace stuff, I am not sure on that, but Carl is making our template and incorporating a few things into the site for us.

I think thats all of your questions, sorry if I missed one.

Casper

For fund-raising, we are waiting on the auction. This has been on hold while Phil is making the server change. This change is, in part, being done to accommodate us for the auction software...so thank you Phil for all your work. Phil and Patrick have both been working on this (as you've all noticed the change in the forums). It takes a while to get all this done.

I am waiting to review the software so I can see how it will work and then I can formulate the rules and get the ads out.

Things seem to move at a snail's pace because everyone has other lives to live. Its not that anything is being forgotten but all the work must be interwoven between work, families, school and other "life stuff"...especially when the unexpected hits like illness or emergencies.

Once there is some money in the coffers, the legal papers can get done and we will be more "official" and can do more.

Fund-raising will need to be more than just this one auction. It needs to be an ongoing thing. So if anyone has any talent/experience in this or ideas for future projects, please post in the "I want to help" topic. Cole? Didn't you say you were good wringing money out of people?
smile.gif

Suzanne

That's a helpful little update, thanks. I feel better now.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Things seem to move at a snail's pace because everyone has other lives to live. Its not that anything is being forgotten but all the work must be interwoven between work, families, school and other "life stuff"...especially when the unexpected hits like illness or emergencies.

Oh, I totally understand that. I don't think any of us expected any of you to drop everything and orient your entire life around the NASC. Although it did not sound as though you felt as though my post had an impatient tone, I would like to clarify: I am not necessarily impatient, just curious.

Thanks for all the hard work, peoples
-Trevor

Nope...I didn't think you sounded impatient. Feel free to ask any questions you like.
smile.gif
That's what this forum is here for. Its just hard to communicate amongst ourselves with just this venue and email. Sure would be nice if we all lived in the same city and had a big meeting room...with donuts, of course.
biggrin.gif

Great work Casper. It will take some time to do this right!

Little by little things are getting done. As slow as the process is, Casper is doing a great job, and is to be commended for his tireless efforts. We still need to get a few other legal pieces taken care of, and we will move on from there. One thing for sure, this isn't going to happen overnight, so a lot of patience will be required of all of us as the wheels turn, oh so slow. But turn they do. I hope to have more to tell you in another week or two, so keep an eye on this chat room for further updates down the road. There isn't a lot to tell this time except to say the legalities are being hammered out, and then we can make our next moves. Stand by as we get things taken care of one by one. When it is ready for member call, we will holler loud and long for you to come running!!

This is somewhat unexpected, but exciting too. I called Casper yesterday for information, and got a big suprise. Our NASC President was out in the field with Master Bogger, Jay Lechtman. Jay was teaching Casper about the finer points of bogging. While they were out, they ran across a very unexpected treasure. Don Schnell, in his 2nd edition, stated that s. alata crossed the border of Mississippi and had a historical range into eastern Louisiana. Also stated was the fact that this species had not been seen in the field in Louisiana for many years. Well guess who found an alata stand in Louisiana. That's right!! Our man Casper. They found a stand in the St. Tammany Parrish, and they haven't been recorded there for a long, long time. Plant positions have been GPS'ed and marked on a map. Plant material (seed) just may be in our future as growers from this incredibly rare field find. These plants will need heavy duty protection in any way we can give it. I suggested contacting the F&WS and letting them know that they have been found again.

That's great news!!! Wow... I expect more of this to happen as the mapping projects continue. Hopefully whoever is doing them won't get too bogged down with all that work.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These plants will need heavy duty protection in any way we can give it.

Okay, we need a few volunteers who have experience with fireams to stand out in the field and gaurd our precious plants. Anyone?

j/k

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ April 05 2004,11:49)]Its just hard to communicate amongst ourselves with just this venue and email.  
hey pak,
have you thought about an "egroup" or a "yahoo group"? this might help solve some of the communication issues.

tech...

Small update before I make a post about my bogging trip and try to find a place to host my pics.

We found not 1, not 2, but 3 stands in St. Tammany Parish and 2 are on Nat. reserves so they are safe!!! The 3rd is on private property. I had a nice conversation with the land owner and he has given permission to do a little bit of field collecting. So, as of right now, I have a gps'd, site specific St. Tam. Alata to donate to the collection. I also have another for the auction. Towards sept. I will go back for some more pictures and maybe a few seeds.

Now I am off to dump a few 100 pictures from my digi cam, so more info will follow.

Casper

That's great news Casper! Look forward to seeing your pics!

smile.gif

BCK

Well this isn't much to report but we may not be able to use auction software for the auction. So far, Patrick hasn't found any that worked properly. SO...we may be holding it on the forums after all. I need to talk to Phillip about this.
rock.gif

Back