What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A fairly comprehensive gallery

trashcan

O:-)
Hi,

I wanted to share a bunch of pictures of my plants, and share my personal luck with cultivation. Unfortunately, I'm not as methodical and detailed with my analysis as some other members of the forum, but I think sometimes general information is helpful, too. So, here are photos of my plants, with care information or cultivation notes when I have any.

Also, if anyone has any questions about any of the plants, I'd be more than happy to answer. I can provide more (hah!) pictures if needed.

So, to start off, here is my N.diatas 'meadow form':

P1130479_001.sized.jpg

P1130478.sized.jpg

The developing pitcher shown will be the first entire pitcher grown under my care. This plant seems to be a little bit of a slow grower for me, but I'm an admittedly fairly impatient person. I have been told that the increase in internodal length is because the plant is not receiving enough light, not because it is starting to vine or anything like that.

Next up is N. spathulata x spectabilis:
P1130480.sized.jpg

P1130482.sized.jpg

As you can see, this guy is really a monster. I purchased it at six inches in diameter, and each leaf is significantly bigger than the last. Those 3-4-5" pitchers everywhere take up quite a bit of space! Very pretty pitchers, though, so no complaints. This plant has not given me any problems at all. It grows at a steady pace, and has made a pitcher on every leaf.

Judith Finn:
P1130468.sized.jpg

I got this little guy during a Petflytrap sale. Pretty tiny, but you can see the pitcher to leaf ration is pretty nice. I look forward to pitchers as nice as some that I have seen of simliar plants, but it will be a while! This one definitely isn't a fast grower. I believe I've had it since September, and it has made the three large pitchers that are visible in the photo.

N. macfarlanei:
P1130451.sized.jpg

This has been one of the more challenging plants for me. It is recovering from a long period of mistreatment (inflicted by me unfortunately), but seems to be slowing getting there. I have had some excellent advice from forum members (notably Joachim and Tony), and I can only hope for the best. It has started making more leaves, which is a good sign. And the tendrils are longer, which is typical of this species, but one of the newer pitchers was deformed.

N. sibuyanensis:
P1130471.sized.jpg

P1130436.sized.jpg

P1130472.sized.jpg

This is one of my favorite plants. It makes long tendrils, and nice, round pitchers. In my experience, it is pretty easy to grow, but kind of the "cat" of the Nepenthes world. It does what it wants to, when it wants to. The larger one developed a beautiful pitcher, and then just stopped growing for a month before deciding to open it. I haven't had the smaller one long enough to see it do anything like that, but I'm guessing it will behave simliarly.

N. spectabilis
P1130456.sized.jpg

P1130452.sized.jpg

This, too, is one of my favorites. I've had this one for quite a while. It is one of the tougher highlands- I would put it right up there with ventricosa for durability. It steadfastly pitchered in near lowland conditions for almost six months. Now that it is in proper highland conditions, it has really taken off. In good light, the leaves turn a very dark red, almost maroon. This has been the easiest to grow of all highlands that I own, and also is a quick grower. I've included a picture of an older, but still active pitcher (this plant typically has four or five at once), to show how the pitchers color as they age. The inside turns a nice shade of purple. You can see some flecks of purple coloration in the new pitcher above, and these will increase as the pitcher ages. If you look closely, you can see tiny, green peristome teeth in both pictures.

N. inermis:
P1130444.sized.jpg

This plant is pretty new, as well. Rght after I got it, it just got to work and made a new pitcher right away. Seems to have about an average rate of growth compared to other highlanders I grow. It has not needed any special care.

N. muluensis:
P1130448.sized.jpg

This is a pretty, small plant. It was given to me by Jeremy (brisco225). It is definitely a slow grower so far, but I think it's worth it since it has such intense coloration throughout the leaves and pitchers. I'm not sure if the camera made it look a little darker or not, but the color is an incredibly dark purple, headed towards black.

N. tentaculata:
P1130441.sized.jpg

This plant definitely needs its night time cooling to be happy. But now that it is getting the proper temperatures, it is a very low maintenance plant. Mine has two main growth points, and they both pitcher prolifically. Each leaf is getting significantly larger, and I can't wait to see how big the new pitchers will be.
smile.gif
. The newer leaves are also starting to show a little bit of coloration.

N. veitchii 'Bareo Highland'
P1130467.sized.jpg

Very pretty, but a slow grower. The other Nepenthes I got at the same time have almost all put out a new leaf and pitcher. This one has unrolled half of a new leaf. Definitely slow, but the new leaf looks bigger and healthy. It is covered with fine hairs.

N. ventricosa x densiflora:
P1130462.sized.jpg

P1010333.sized.jpg

This is a really cool hybrid. It has already deployed two complete leaves, one pitcher, and another pitcher is rapidly developing. This is a great hybrid because it seems to grow as easily as N.ventricosa, and has a lot of the nice features of N.densiflora.

N. glabrata:
P1130437.sized.jpg

This is a great terrarium plant. It's pretty small, and doesn't grow too quickly. It's interesting because the shape of the leaves makes them appear almost like blades of grass. The tendrils are really long, and the pitchers should showing more red coloration as the plant matures.

N. hamata
P1130423.sized.jpg

I had heard this was a difficult plant to take care of, so I was a little hesitant to purchase it. But, just like N.inermis, this plant just started developing a new pitcher right away, and has already opened it's first pitcher under my care. Beautiful, and easy to grow.

N. ampullaria (Bau, green)
P1130411.sized.jpg

P1130418.sized.jpg

This is a nice, easy lowlander. It kind of creeps around the bottom of my terrarium. It was definitely posed for this shot, and normally grows nearly horizontally. Pretty easy, but it has thin leaves, so it doesn't like temperature or humidity drops in my experience.

Well, I wanted to do more, but ... darn, this is exhausting.. Hope everyone enjoys the pics!

P1130409.sized.jpg

P1130390.sized.jpg

P1130402.sized.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (trashcan @ April 03 2004,4:03)]Well, I wanted to do more, but ... darn, this is exhausting.. Hope everyone enjoys the pics!

P1130390.sized.jpg
Some great plants there
smile.gif
 Are they grown in a tank or greenhouse?
Is this one a N. campanulata?

I look forward to seeing more..

cheers

bill

Very nice! I really dig that sibuyanensis pitcher! Well done, very informative!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

Nice collection of Neps, Pat.

Love the Hamata, Veitchii, and Inermis.

Trashcan,

Thanks for taking the time to post all that. It was a very rewarding read! Heck, IMHO, it should be pinned!
biggrin.gif

SF

I think it should be pinned too just because of all the beautiful labels! But I am not biased.. noooope not me!

Pat the plants look very happy. I think you misinterpreted what I was saying in email about the N. diatas starting to lengthen between the internodes. I figured I would post here since it might be helpful to others also.

I didn't say, or if I did,.. not mean that it was not getting enough light. But that instead the light was different from growing out in the greenhouse. It is very difficult to replicate indoors with artificial lighting the conditions in a greenhouse out in the sunshine. The plants respond and adjust to any new environment. One effect of less intense light a lengthening of the internodes. This does not necessarily mean it is insufficient. The color on the new pitcher looks very nice. But it should be no surprise that coming from a greenhouse in full sun to an indoor situation underlights that the plants will change their growth pattern. As long as they are healthy, growing larger, and making nice colorful pitchers then there is nothing to worry about.
Tony

Tony, thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood what you meant. I probably was just disappointed that it was not vining, and looked at what you wrote with a feeling of disappointment, so I read more into it than I should have.

Thank you everyone for the nice words.

Fly-catchers, yep that is an N.campanulata. I grow all of my plants in terrariums. The lowland ones are pretty low maintenance, but the highland ones have to be either on my balcony, or get a bunch of frozen water bottles at night.
The unlabeled plants are N.truncata, N. campanulata, and N. bellii.

Awsome looking nepenthes, Pat! I am glad to see the N. muluensis is doing so well. Gotta be one of my favorites too.

woah, trashcan, I see what you mean by "comprehensive"... Gorgeous pictures... I'm now as green as some of your nepenthes!

You do the frozen water bottle thing? Kudos to you. I don't trust myself to do that, and have been angling on getting a frozen bunker for a lower mainatenance way.

Joe

hey trashcan, AWsome pictures, i like how you gave a discription for them, heh

my other post about big pitchers relates to your hamata, them pitchers are HUGE@! and the plant is so tiny

Back