What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A dirty trick of the desk chair manufacturers

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I got a new desk chair a month ago and recently caught a caster on something and busted one of them off. Well I've just pulled the broken caster stem out of the new chair and pulled an old caster off the old chair and it fits perfectly. Infact it's the exact same design so you can't tell that's what I did. I paid $60 (Sam's Club) for the old chair and $130 (Office Depot or Office Max) for this new one... As I was building the new one I thought that all the parts looked very familiar, the size of the screws, the shape of the base and casters, only the upholstery and arms are different. All the actual hardware is the same. So much for paying more for a "higher quality" chair! lol! :-O

Keep this in mind though:

If they used all different pieces, all different parts, and required different tools to assemble, you'd be posting a message about how you hate that you need to keep all your spare parts and tools separately and that, really, they should just standardize it. :p

Frankly, I'd take this as good news; you can replace any parts easily with an el cheapo chair instead of replacing it, when the time comes.

Still, I see your point. lol

I guess I'm not complaining about being able to use parts (that's nice) I just thought the hardware would be better quality. I don't care so much what the chair is shaped like (so long as it's comfy). I just hate it when the pumps go out and I end up sitting on a toadstool trying to type above my head, lol!

I never keep spare parts or tools that come with these things. I don't throw them out but... the stuff leaves ya know? The elves have stolen it I always say! :D

Toadstools and elves..........

Are you living in a Magical Forest Swords? You know the tax-rates in those places are brutal! ;)

I think one of the biggest difference between office chairs that influences price is the quality of the piston in them. The internal seals etc are usually higher quality in more expensive chairs but these parts are not visible to people so most people dont see the differences. Everything else is usually the same, not from a perceived need to standardize but instead because they all buy components from third party vendors, generally the cheapest ones at that.

You think the elves are bad, wait till the gnomes show up.

lol! :-D

A better quality piston is what I was hoping for - so long as I keep my toolbox locked the gremlins can't get in it and start tinkering with the new chair.

Back