What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A dark millenium is ahead - look at this!

I just saw this on the news and had to look for it online, check out this video news story on the armys new Warhammer 40,000 space marine body armor/robo suits:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/25/sarcos-military-exoskeleton-becomes-a-frightening-reality/

The current model more resembles the mecha loader from Alien 2 but a lot more agile. I can't help but think the upcoming suits were at least minimally influenced by WH40K At the end of the video is the protype sculpts of the next gen suits covered in armor,etc.

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only eternal war...

It's hard to see how the US can afford all the military technology it's developing or how it'll maintain the supply lines, etc needed to actually use it. We can't even claim to be in an arms race - it's more like arms solitaire. Americans invest in military technology, bloated houses and enhanced iPods while other nations invest in productive things. It's no wonder that our dollars are in a tailspin.

Yeah, that does look like we might become a little 'war machine'-like, but I doubt it'll get out of hand.

However, if you're really into this kinda stuff you should really read Naomi Wolf's book about how the US is showing all of the signs of a strong country turning into a Fascist country

Actually, being a Warhammer 40K art fan, I must admit I thought it was kinda cool! :blush:

I saw Mrs. Wolf on the Colbert Report, she wasn't saying anything new to me but if her book is merely about drawing paranoid connections between specific events and non-democratic philosophies we could probably do that all thoughout our countries history. We were founded by hemp growing christian slave owners who wanted to be free...

However, if we've got soldiers tromping around in these things, a modern civilian militia will really need to be similarliy, eh, impressive! Muskets and NRA sticks won't cut it against space marines! lol!

I'm getting started building my AT-AT asap....

:-D

Very interesting, and I'm particularly intrigued by the low noise level and small size. Have they said what it uses as "muscles"?

I'm skeptical of the the autonomous aspects, though - I work in animal locomotion, and there is a LOT of control as numerous levels, far more difficult than simply following a user's motion. We'll get there eventually, but the challenges are not insubstantial.

Mokele

Couldn't watch it cause my computer was being a tard...but...It would be so cool if Japan invaded us with killer battle Honda Asimos's with flamethrowers, and we totaly destroyed them with our robot suits! I bet we could totaly destroy an Asimo army lol!...but on a more serious note, I'll see if I can watch the video tomorrow...

-thanks for sharing
-Gabe

Id prefer to see atleast a fraction of the huge increase in military research spending of late transferred over to the civilian sectors and the NSF, so they can get reasonable increases in their bugets too. The military research may make us a military powerhouse, but the research on everything else is what makes the country tick.

Wny can't we just arm wrestle to settle disputes? Here's my solution: Head honcho of one country arm wrestles head honcho of country of antagonistic country. Loser best 2 out of 3) takes winner out to best restaurant in loser's country. End of dispute! Keep the 18 year olds home!

Good idea Jim - it could have collateral benefits. Maybe football broadcasters would drop the war analogies and begin to use arm wrestling lingo instead. Is there an arm wrestling lingo?

Wny can't we just arm wrestle to settle disputes? Here's my solution: Head honcho of one country arm wrestles head honcho of country of antagonistic country. Loser best 2 out of 3) takes winner out to best restaurant in loser's country. End of dispute! Keep the 18 year olds home!

I've always wanted to see GWB in a fight. Just one fight. I bet if it was televised he'd lose half of his base in a single swoop when they saw what a wuss he'd be. Bravado just wouldn't work after that.

I say we have MMA style fights, the first one to get knocked out or tap out loses and only the politicians get bloodied not any one else. I personally want to see Chancellor Merkel kick GWB in the head.

Back