What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A cactus in a terrarium?

Just wondering if I can use some nice species of cacti (spelling?) as a filler in my tropical terrarium with my VFT's and sundews, any takers on this topic?
confused.gif
wink.gif

NO!!!! Not that you knew, but cacti are from dry places while CPs are well, not...
confused.gif
Hope this helps...
wink.gif
wow.gif

Hi carniverous newbie,
I can't think of any cacti that would be able to handle the water that the VFT will need. Or are you thinking of putting the VFT in their own seperate pots in the terrarium and disgiusing them so it looks like they are all planted in the same soil? Sounds like an intriguing contrast of plants though.

Maybe one of our cacti experts will know of a cactus that likes lots of water.
smile.gif

I knew, that's why I asked.
wink.gif
I wasn't sure if cacti were hearty enough to handle the different environment.

Yes, with all my plants, I will have them each in seperate pots. But the soil in the terrarium is deep enough that the pots will be hidden. That will allow me to take them out whenever needed for donrmacy, etc. Without losing the illusion that they are all planted together!
biggrin.gif

There may not be any cacti that can handle lots of humidity. it was just a passing thought, I'd like to mix and match a little to create a really interesting look to my terrarium without haivng the plants crowding one another.
wink.gif

There is such a thing as jungle cactus but they're $$$$expensive$$$$$ (if you can find them) Your safest bet is not, but some tillsandia look succulent(ish). The big problem is that the cactus will 95% die, and add MAJOR fungus!!!
wow.gif
sad.gif
mad.gif
The paper fungus of overwatered succulents hasn't been proven in CPs, but it's pretty likely your CPs would look like they got bombarded with aphids!!
sad.gif
wow.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
So, for your best bet is not..., but well, it's really your choice...
confused.gif
Best luck!!!!!!!!11
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Thanks, I probably won't attempt it. I didn't intend to take chances. I only would've plated one or two in there if there was a compatible species. So, I guess I can fill up with sundews, and maybe some pitcher plants. I think those are cool!
wink.gif

Glad to help, anytime!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
(for the plant's sake only) j/k
tounge.gif
wow.gif
confused.gif
Oh, you know...
smile.gif

wow.gif
*slaps myself*