What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bulb and some kind of water larvae to id

Found this plant in the woods today.
The area is dry and sandy, other stuff that grows there is heather, scots pine and lichens like reindeermoss.
I first thought it may be an orchid but i cant find any that look like it that grow here.
Anyone know what it is?
Btw, i live in the Netherlands so no american or tropical stuff.

Found these bugs in a tub of water in my backyard.
The mosquito larvae are obvious, the bigger things are mosquito pupa ?
And then theres that maggot like thing with a pointy tail.
It seems to crawl on the underside of the water surface and attacks the mosquito larvae/pupa.
Anyone know what it is?

Mosquito pupae and larvae. No idea on the bulb.

I knew about the larvae and pupae, i wanna know what the other bug is :p

Edit: got a possible id on the maggot like thing tnx to Kula: Eristalis tenax

Last edited:
The whitish one? Looks like the last phase of a larvae shed before it becomes a pupae, to me anyway. Those rat tail things are just plain gross. I think I'd be sterilizing my tray if I saw those things (blech!). Dunno if that's what you have or not.

the one in question is one of the "whiptail" maggots. We have some here that are found in tree holes...in the stinky muck.
If purged in clean water for a few days, they are an excellent fish food supplement.
They can be fed fresh, or dried and ground as an additive in your own fish food mix.
Small amounts though, they are very high in fats.

The whitish one? Looks like the last phase of a larvae shed before it becomes a pupae, to me anyway. Those rat tail things are just plain gross. I think I'd be sterilizing my tray if I saw those things (blech!). Dunno if that's what you have or not.

It's not a plant tray, its the cat littler box that the cats used after i emptied it, i put it outside to clean it one day but it rained instead and some time later these critters showed up :p
But the bugs are allready identified, they are mosquito larvae and pupae and hoverfly larvae.

Back