What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bit of a freeze last night

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, I wasn't too worried about a few of my plants I had outdoors, until this morning. I looked out the back window and saw a nice frost over my neighbor's yard. I looked out my side window and didn't see too much frost in my yard. However, when I went out to check on my posts, I found that all but the largest had frozen. So much for that low of 35°F last night. Seems to have gotten a bit cooler than they expected. Right now I am slowly thawing out my Red Dragon, a Green Dragon, and a few smaller pots of S. purpurea ssp. venosa. My D. filiformis ssp. tracyi also got a bit hard.

They should all be fine. They have slowly been going dormant waiting for this type of weather. The pots did not freeze totally as water still ran out when I lifted them from the shallow trays they are in.

I guess I am letting everyone know that is now that time of the year for dormancy and to get your pots protected from freezing. I wish I had taken a photo of my Red Dragon. It was very frosty and sparkled nicely in the morning sun.

In the 20F's last night here, and the same tonight (thanks for reminding me!). I have some pygmy species outdoors, and they made it with hardly a fuss (doubt that would be the case long term). The colder nights have brought the return of 2 different D. peltata varieties. D. spatulata looks a little shaken up, but I think it will grow just fine. This is our first real hard frost here. I have been waiting for it so I can bring the temperates into the cellar for the winter dormancy period, I always like to expose them to a couple of good frosts before doing so. It's been a remarkably warm fall here so far, and I hope this holds through for, say, the rest of my life!

Hello,
All my outside plants (alot) got frozen.....all my pitchers were trap sickles. They seem to be doing fine.
Kevin

Mine are in a bog in the ground that i made not that long ago. I have a cold frame over top of it so that provides some protection. Tonight it's suppose to be around 15 degrees so i'm a little worried about them. I've never left them out when it's this cold. I think they should be okay though. They all seem to be going dormant nicely. The sarrs are turning a nice crispy brown and the vfts have winter leaves.

-buckeye

I have had several of my temperate drosera outside. It was 18 here last night, and they are all forming awesome little hibernacula. I actually like winter the best, watching all my plants go dormant.

Cole

I just moved everything into the cellar for the duration. Cole, you need to move here if you like winter, we got all the winter you would ever want.....

All of my temperate Sarrs, VFTs & Drosera are frozen solid! I'm moving them to the basement tomorrow.

We have been having 30s lately,after a high of 88 just last week,kinda a shock to the system.lol.:D

Back