What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 dying sarrs...

Hi and Hello!

I 'rescued' 3 sarrs today from a store... I'm unsure if they'll come around, but for the price its worth a shot.

The 2 larger are labeled Sarracenia 'Stevensii', and have about 1 foot pitchers with their entire tops withered off.
They also have some kinda non carnivorous leaves too, looking a little healthier.

Small one is unlabeled, and has about 1 million 2 inch pitchers, VERY skinny, about 1-2 millimeters each.

I'm crap with sarrs, but I still wanna give it a shot; what should I do? Drench them? sun? you know the drill
smile.gif

Thanks /Quensel.

Simple! You have S.purpurea subsp. venosa right? Grow these sarrs the same as you grow your other one! Heres what you do:
Place them on a partly sunny or full sun windowsill.
Put water trays under them, and fill up the trays with rain/disstilled water.
Make sure the trays are filled with water at all times.
Then just..........wait!
smile.gif

Dino
smile_m_32.gif

One more thing, dont do anything extra to help them recover.
Dino

I think I'll just chuck em into the big tray on my balcony with the purp and the vfts.
The purp seems to like that place, so...

I also got a vft in that deal, which has rather serious aphid dmg, what helps?
The sarrs may also have aphids, as the top of the soil amongst the pitchers is virtually covered in some grey, dry matter which I'm guessing is crap of some sort...

I'll look deeper into it in the morning.

Thanks /Quensel

The non-carnivorous leaves on your plant are called phyllodia.

If there are live aphids, I'd submerge your plants in water for a day or so. That will drown the aphids. You need to get rid of those ASAP as they can spread and be quite damaging.

Well, I sprayed all the plants in the tray with a pesticide i bought the other day. No live aphids to be seen anywhere, and no visible effect on the plants.

I noticed some new growth at a few places, some is green and some is red.
On mu S. purpurea, the red new growth results in full-size pitchers, and green growth ends up as spindly immature looking pitchers, is it the same here mebbe?

Thanks /Quensel

Oh dear, what pesticide did you use? You should have asked us before spraying, as some pesticides kill CPs.

your plant will be fine i have got a s.pupurea ssp venosa sounds like your talking about mine
smile.gif

The pesticide is called Pyrex-N and at the store I asked for one that does not harm the plants in any way.
On the bottle it says that there are no known side effects to it at all.

Back