What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 gal. light?

sorry about this thread, but i was wondering what light fixture or how much lumens would take to light up a 20 gal. terrarium? thanks alot.

I think the recommendation for 20 gallon tank is a 4 tube fixture or the use of CFL's.
For my 20gal long tank i use a economy reptile hood which has 3 fixture for screw in bulbs.
I use compact flourescents in these 3 slots, totaling about 80 watts. I then surround the ENTIRE tank with mylar so that the light reflects all around the plants!
Hope that helps.
biggrin.gif

ok, thanks alot. i was thinking about using 2 40watt coolwhite, and 2 40watt daylight flourescent tubes. do you have a fan in the tank.?
where may i ask did you get mylar?

no, i don't have a fan, but do leave a crack for air. The tank does get quite warm from the heat of the lamps, about 90 degrees. But this is ok as i grow the D. petiolaris group. the mylar came from atwaterhydro.net at $22 a roll. Best price i could find online.
The plants were noticeably happier once i put the mylar up!
Hope this helps!
cool.gif

myliar is not aluminum paper?, or its same?, does anyting work to reflect light?

Mylar is a trade name for a reflective poly film. It has very good reflective properties, better than aluminum foil.
2mil thickness is best as 1ml is pretty flimsy and is hard to work with.
Peter.

Red G, the flood lamp looks interesting. Do you place these over aquarium tanks? Nice that they are daylight 6500K.
Do you have a pic of your setup?
Peter

Back