What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Succesful Dormancy

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
This Year, I Used The Garage Dormancy For The First Time. Today I Took Out My Plants... So Far, None Are Dead!!!!!! I just Have One Question. There Is A white Substance on the pitcher of my lady bug. Should I just cut off the pitcher(as far as i know, its not an insect) or what? I will have pics of my un-dormant plants later, as with the ladybug.

the white stuff sounds like some kind of powdery mildew..a fungus..
if its just on the surface, you could try just rinsing it off with water, and wiping down the pitchers with a paper towel..see if the pitchers look clean and normal after that..

if its a fungus that seems to be growing *in* the leaf tissue itself, and not just on the surface, then its best to cut off the effected parts..
but its probably just a minor surface fungus of some kind..

Scot

It could be mold/mildew/fungus. It could be mealy bugs or evidence of aphids, scale insect or mealy bugs since they excrete a sugary substance that dries as a white powder as well a promoting growth of fungus/mold/mildew.

Inspect your plants closely with a magnifier. Pay particular attention to the nooks and crannies on the crown. White fuzz in this spaces are most likely mealy bugs.

This is the ladybug...(I Think[And Hope] Its Powdery Mildew
Sarraceniamarch2010009.jpg

And Some Other Pictures
Sarraceniamarch2010008.jpg

Sarraceniamarch2010007.jpg

Sarraceniamarch2010006.jpg

Sarraceniamarch2010005.jpg

Sarraceniamarch2010004.jpg

Sarraceniamarch2010003.jpg

Sarraceniamarch2010002.jpg

New Purpurea Pitcher
Sarraceniamarch2010001.jpg

If it were me, I'd remove all the dead and dying tissue as it gives the new leaves room to grow and keeps your bogs looking cleaner and nicer. As an example here's the bog during the growing season:

03-29-2009-mixed01.jpg

07-07-2009bogpic07.jpg

And this is what I've trimmed the leaves to this year. Some people will tell you not to cut living tissue, but I like to trim as close to the rhizome as possible. Later in the season, I like to pull the 'stubs' out. This sometimes cuts into the living tissue of the rhizome, but for me it seems to encourage new growth. This is what that particular bog looks like now:

feb2010-firstbog.jpg

By cutting all old growth, I believe it cuts down on pests that may have been harbored the previous season - both entomological (insects) and mycological (fungal) as well as giving new leaves a better, less crowded chance to grow. :)

I usually leave a bit of green on so they can catch a few insects before pitcher making comes. I think i will cut of these parts though, and my plants have no more than 3/4 inch high of old pitchers(if that makes sense)

I also have a purp which appears to be a brunswick beauty[Thats what i think i bought it as(local nursery, thats the kind the wholesaler sells.]

I am 90% sure that's mealy bugs on your lady bug. Smush the whiteness with your fingers. You will see a little orange juice comes out its live mealy bugs. They will hang out where the mid rib (ala) meets the body of the pitcher and the v-shape base of the pitcher where it connects to the rhizome.

Great photos Brokken!!

I am 90% sure that's mealy bugs on your lady bug. Smush the whiteness with your fingers. You will see a little orange juice comes out its live mealy bugs. They will hang out where the mid rib (ala) meets the body of the pitcher and the v-shape base of the pitcher where it connects to the rhizome.

Great photos Brokken!!
I checked for the orange yesterday, as i've heard of doing this before. I could not get any and i rubbed my fingers up and down trying to get orange residue. I guess ill have to see what happens, and ill try to treat it somehow right now(idk how though, i dont want to use chemicals just yet.) i did have mealybugs on a cherry tree bfore though, and i got the orange, so i guess ill have to see sometime

Speaking of dormancy... I just went through my first full one in central Texas. I am lucky to be able to just leave them out and not have to worry about protection. It is so amazing how the plants just kick it into high gear. I kid you not, almost right after March 1st I noticed more vigorous growht and D. capillaris plants started popping up that I didn't even know were there. So far I have about 15 flower stalks and my favorite plant... minor var. okefenokeensis is sending up 3 pitchers!

Phil

i dont have any buds lol. mayb emy other ladybug

In my dream, there were mealybugs and they bit me, and i somehow died lol...
I will try pouring water on the leaves to see if it helps

wow..death by mealybugs..
it would take awhile, but it would be pretty grusome! ;)

Scot

well as soon as they bit i fell over lol...

Back