What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st mature pitcher

• Thread starter Dyflam
  • Start date
My bad... can't remember what I bought. If someone can clue me in I'll label it.
smile.gif

N_JudithFinn03_web.jpg

Looks pretty much just like my J Finns persitome but maybe show a picture of the whole plant (great closeup though! )
If it is a J finn and you can put the plant in brighter light the peristome may get a dark purple (almost black) color-mine does anyway!  The last pitcher on mine was made too far from the lights so it has green peristome like your except it still has developed a few red stripes since I moved it closer to the light. I notice the leaves on mine are dark green with a red haze/tint until they completely unfurl then they turn totally bright green.

I also noticed that mine started to grow a lot better once it got put in highland conditions but also a bit slower. Now the leaves don't come out as often as when it was in the lowland tank but they are getting  a lot larger with each leaf. For almost a year it put out only slightly larger leaves and pitchers.

How big is your pitcher on the photo? My biggest is 3" on the end of a 5" leaf - using middle finger as measuring tool - scientific eh?
wink.gif

You might wanna add to your plant stake that J Finn is a hybrid of: N spathulata x N. veitchii

Thanks for the info swords. Plant pic coming...
smile.gif

I don't think it's light with this hybrid that changes the color of the peristome - I think it just takes time after opening. Mine always has green peristomes when it first opens, gradually darkening to red, and the almost purple. After over a month, they usually are still darkening.
Mine is probably around mature, the last three pitchers have been 9" tall.
I'd agree that the picture is x J Finn, especially if the pitcher has just openned recently.

It just seems like the peristomes were darker sooner on the lowland created pitchers (where the plant was closer to the light).
How large is your plant (diameter) which is making 9" pitchers? How long have you had it? Does the outside of the pitchers ever get more interesting with plant maturity or only retain a slight red "blush" on the neck above the hip?

You might be right about it then. Mine's always been in the same lighting. I've had it about 1 1/2 years. The pitchers stay pretty much the same, with the slight red blush you mention, though the peristome does look really nice once it gets large. The leaves are around 15" long.

Cool, thanks for the info!
smile.gif

i just bought judith sat. no pitchers yet but can't wait to see some kool looking plant. fixs right in with my veitchii hybrids
smile.gif

my little Judith finn has been languishing in some pretty hot lowlands conditions... it puts out enough pitchers to counter what it loses... and isn't putting on mass... it will be the first to go in my new highlands setup... hopefully, it will appreciate it... (hopefully, the setup will work)

any how, even as a tiny plant it's pitchers (under good lighting) are just stunning... deep dark purplish red that just strikes me to look at it, even tucked in among more striking mature plants.

(My Bical is sending out a pitcher that looks like it will plop right down int he middle of the judy's growth point!
wink.gif

Back