What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100 watts helogen light

hey i have a i nought a 100watts halogen light thingy, i have to put it about 2 meters from the mini greenhouse becuz it was originally for my mums orchids...

anyway is that enough/ok?

Halogen light is not very suitable for plants. It produces alot of heat and the majority of the light is nonusable for photosynthesis. So although it appears the plant is nice and bright the plant in reality is 'seeing' little of the brightness. You would be much better off with a couple compact fluorescent bulbs that screw into standard incandescent fixtures. Try and find as high a wattage as possible and preferably a daylight or coolwhite type.

Tony

Hi,
I agreed with Tony.
The 100 watt halogen will produce about 1600 ~ 1800 lm Color temp at around 2800K, but product a lot of heat.
In Singapore GE sell a 60w compact fluorescent (CFL) that gives out 3300 lm at 6500K (daylight). Otherwise you could use 2 or more 20 watt CFL daylight (1200lm each) from Ikea.

Jalan Kayu

Back