What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 gal terrerium

Ok, i want to get this straitended out NOW. I got a 10 gallon terrerium, that i am going to grow sundews and need to know what kind of lights to use and how many and stuff like that. any help is needed.

Its been said many times before thats why I dont think you got a reply yet.

If you want to do things cheap go get 1 or 2 shop lights 1 shop light takes two 40 watt bulbs.Your going to need 75-100 watts over that 10 gal fish tank min .

I my self have a 20 gal tank and am useing shop lights and CF lights you can buy a CF light at Home depot . I had around a 165 watts on my 20 gal tank and the VTFS started to turn green so I had to add another 25 watts to my lighting system.

Hmm... I disagree,I don't think that you can find 40 watt florescent bulbs that are 18 inches and 40 watts(18 inch strip lights are the size that fit over a 10 gallon terrarium). I have used 10 gallon terrariums with 3 or 4 18 inch florescent striplights over the top with the bulbs being 15 watts each. I have only had 45 watts over a 10 gallon terrarium before and all my plants had pretty good coloration. But here is what I would do Stone burner. Go buy 3 or 4 18 inch florescent striplights and use a mixture of cool white and warm white bulbs. Something like 2 cool white and 2 warm white. Or 2 cool white bulbs and 1 warm white bulb. (depending on how many you can fit over the tank.
smile.gif

John

The problem I have found in the past is the cost for the smaller sized fixtures and tubes. Typically the 4 foot fixtures and tubes are much less expensive than the 2foot and 18inch counterparts. It is usually cheaper and easier to find the 4foot fixtures and bulbs.

Yes it is a bit overkill for a 10 gallon tank and alot of the tubes will hang beyond the edges of the tank. But on a positive side, if you have the space for the fixture, is you can fit a couple 10 gallon tanks under them. Which is nice to have some room for future expansion!

Tony

Stone Burner,

Consider Tony's advice on EXPANSION. Once you really get into it, your plants grow like crazy and you get more through purchase and trade. It'll be easy to fill a 10 gallon tank.
I started back in July with a 20 gallon (10 gallon footprint) and I use a 4 tube, 24" fluor. over it. Already it's getting cramped and I could use another tank.

2 10 gallon tanks is what I'm aiming for next... one high temp/humidity and another moderate temp/humidity.
smile.gif

Back