What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1-year-old seedling pics

here a bunch of pics of 1-year-old (exactly) seedlings I took today. some are amazingly large already. OP means open-pollinated, which almost all of them are, many are also siblings - so any with the same name are from the same seed pod.

alabamensisxoreophilaOP.jpg

alabamenis x oreophila OP

alataxflavaOP1.jpg

alata x flava OP

alataxflavaOP2.jpg

alata x flava OP

boobtubeOP1.jpg

x Boob Tube OP

boobtubeOP2.jpg

x Boob Tube OP

boobtubeOP3.jpg

x Boob Tube OP

catF21.jpg

x catesbaei F2

catF22.jpg

x catesbaei F2

catF23.jpg

x catesbaei F2

catF24.jpg

x catesbaei F2

ladiesinwaitingOP.jpg

x Ladies In Waiting OP

leucoxpsittOP.jpg

x wrigleyana OP

mutt1.jpg

unknown - from a mix of open-pollinated seeds i collected over the years

mutt2.jpg

another unknown from same mix

oreoxwillOP.jpg

oreophila x 'willisii' OP

oxfxlOP2.jpg

(oreophila x flava) x leucophylla OP

oxfxlOP3.jpg

(oreophila x flava) x leucophylla OP

oxfxlOP1.jpg

(oreophila x flava) x leucophylla OP - looks nothing like it's other two siblings pictured above. perhaps it was a wayward seed that got in with the others, but who knows, with open-pollination anything could be possible.

sbellexhh.jpg

Scarlett Belle x Hummer's Hammerhead - the only true cross I have in this batch. I have one of it's siblings that looks a lot different, has an open, flat lid, but hardly any coloration. Couldn't get a good picture of it, so maybe later this year.

group.jpg

lastly, a pic of the 1-year-old class

VERY nice! I love Sarracenia seedlings. Thanks for sharing. :)

Wow! Great growing. Those are bigger than some of the seedling I have that are at least twice their age.

Very nice plants!! I enjoy seeing all the variety that comes from Sarracenia hybrids!

Only one year? That's a lot of growth!

Yes, they all germinated at the end of Feb. '08. I've wondered how some of them got so big. I'm sure genetics is part of it. Also, I did fertilize with dilute miracid regularly last summer while they were outside. secondly, they did experience a brief dormancy. i'm in WI, so i moved them from my deck to the garage in early November, once temps started dipping into the low 20's at night. they stayed in there until about xmas, then went into a greenhouse. once they "woke up" they exploded with the large pitchers you see in the pics. not all did this though, probably at least half of them still have small, juvenile leaves.

Back