What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

¡Prospero ano nuevo!

• Thread starter seedjar
  • Start date

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey all, happy New Year's! For those following the Gregorian calendar on the other side of the date line, I guess. Here's a fun link about how I spent New Year's back in my childhood: http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/worlds-strangest-new-year-traditions/3
In Panama and a number of other Latin American countries they burn effigies (called muñecos - "dolls" in Panama at least) to usher out the old year and welcome the new one. I certainly didn't understand/notice it as a toddler, but I guess these days it's popular to build likenesses of influential or well-known people.
Anybody else have any interesting New Year's traditions?
~Joe

Is there no animosity in the burning of the muñecos? Whenever I see someone being burned in effigy I always think they must be really hated.

My old new years tradition was to do all my Nepenthes cuttings on Jan 1st and by April a number of them would be ready for shipping. This year however, all I can do is cut the old disfigured leaves off my N. amp 'Harlequin'! :D

Mainly I'm gonna try to be home tonight before the wackos get too toasted and then try driving home.

Whatever you guys all get into tonight - be safe!

This one is out of respect, but sometimes it's bad people as often as it's good people. It's not exactly what they did so much as that they were influential and represent the things that happened that year. The effigy is just the means of the tradition; the goal is to scare off the bad spirits of the old year to welcome the new one.
Hmm... maybe I'll continue your tradition and cut my vines tomorrow.
~Joe

When Chinese New Years comes by in February (it's late this year, lol), the picture of the Kitchen God gets slathered in honey and burnt to a crisp! Then comes new good luck decorations and new clothes! :-O

(Gong xi fa chaai/Gung hay fat choy!)

We also follow the burning of the munecos. El ano viejo (The old year) is burned. We also eat 12 grapes in the last 12 seconds of the old year, toast champagne, and run around the block carrying a small luggage containing some personal items and money in our pocket.

and run around the block carrying a small luggage containing some personal items and money in our pocket.
To practice evacuating or fleeing the motherland? :D

I'm currently living in Madrid and I ate the 12 grapes on the 12 strokes of midnight, a fun Spanish custom I think!

Cole

Back