What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bromeliad brocchinia reducta

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

Today my Brocchinia Reducta arrived in the mail. It is small, but there appears to be two plants in the pot. I have not grown a Brocchinia Reducta before and was wondering if anyone had some advice?

My current understanding is that need:
1. Temps between 45°F and 85°F.
2. 60% Shade.
3. 50% or higher humidity.

I am assuming this plant need can be grown using the water tray method. However, I am not sure of this.

Here is a photo of the plant(s).
Brocchinia_reducta_1inch.jpg

Thanks for any help.

I have grown mine from a seedling for 2 years of so now.  It is a sweet little plant, and I am very fond of it.  It grows in very warm day conditions with a 5-10 degree drop at night.  Winter temps are lower of course both day and night.  I believe that it is ammenable to just about any temp. range.  If I had my druthers I'd keep it a little cooler, but as I said it prospers in temps up to and occasionally above 90F, so I let it be.  I mist it at the hottest part of the day, and it is in 100% humidity.  I put a opinch of blood worm meal in the pitcher monthly, same as for Heliamphora.  It is growing in pure live sphagnum sittling in 1/2 inch water which is allowed to totally dry off before refilling.  I grow mine in a terrarium with 6 flourescent lamps, 40 watts  50/50 cool white and balanced spectrum, the plant is about 3-4 inches away from the lights.  It's now about 4 inches tall, but atypical compared to habitat photos, sadly.  It seems very difficult to get the typical form under these lighting conditions.  The plant would prefer a GH I am sure.

Your substrate seems wetter than it need be. I aim for constantly moist (no dry sphag heads ever) and airy. Treat it the same as you would Heliamphora.

Thanks for that great info. I received the plant yesterday and it had just been watered. However, I did place it in a saucer of distilled water. I will treat it as I do my helimaphora as far as watering goes.

Thanks
smile.gif

I have been growing my 5 inch tall plant for about 1 year now and its doing great on the windowsill. I water from the top, letting water form puddles within the leaves. Many a time you will see dead gnats floating in the leaves. Try keeping the plant rather cool, as too much heat causes it to loose its hardness and it kinda wilths.

Back