What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland Nepenthes shade house

Thagirion

Budgies are best
Last year I built an arbor on the fence for my gourds. It worked out great.

A view of the gourds and chickens by arbor by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Here the gourds are growing up it. But this year I didn't want to grow gourds there. I want this to be a place to hang nepenthes and set up some tables for them as well. The first step was to get a covering on there to add some shade but still be bright that good sun gets through.

Gourd arbor to lowland nepenthes shade house 1 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I had some white vinyl left from other projects and started to work on it.

Gourd arbor to lowland nepenthes shade house 2 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Oops I didn't have enough. The project had to be put on hold for a day as I made a late trip to Lowe's.

Lowland nepenthes shade house 3 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

The following day it's done. The most important part is finished and since I'm impatient I put my ventratas and miranda in there. Temps aren't quite right at night yet for lowlands though the day temps are right on.

Lowland nepenthes shade house 4 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

View from inside.

Lowland nepenthes shade house 5 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

N. miranda on the little table.

I do have a question for you guys. What should I do with the sides? Should I buy shade cloth and if so what percent? OR should I use regular screen? I hate to enclose it but I think I should because we have squirrels. I will remove the black buckets I was using for the gourds and hopfully I can put pavers down so the floor isn't just sand.

Very nice. I'd enclose the entire thing and make it a custom GH.

Thanks. But what should I enclose it with? Shade cloth? If so what percent. Or should I use regular screen? Screen would be cheaper and easier to obtain since my inlaws own a screen company.

hell I dunno.. you're talking to the indoor grow kid remember. :p
Standard shade clothes for our hobby are the 50% ones, from what I hear. A dark screen wouldn't hurt either. Would be like a seasonal patio.

I suggest chicken wire if you are worried about squirrels. If the mesh is small enough it will allow insects to fly in and mammals to stay out.

It's looking good though!

In Cali, I use 75% opacity. I don't know if that'll work well for you.

Thanks everyone. I'll consider those options. I'll post more once more progress is made.

I'd go with Brokken's suggestion. Squirrels can wreak havoc on plants.

Back