What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wow- I never thought wild moss would live in a terrarium- it did. pic heavy

well I found this amazing moss and placed some in my lowlands terrarium for a few weeks and it lived then
put it around my neps and they love it, love it, love it..and it is still alive and growing as well.
I took some more very nice pics but photobucket keeps stopping. I will add more later

also a few pics of my fly trap that has been growing in there all winter,,some sead it would kill it but you be the judge of that.

DSCN8791-1.jpg

DSCN8789-1.jpg

DSCN8788-1.jpg

DSCN8795-1.jpg

DSCN8792-1.jpg

DSCN8794.jpg

DSCN8694-1.jpg

DSCN8695-1.jpg

DSCN8697-1.jpg

DSCN8690-1.jpg

DSCN8691-1.jpg

You have gorgeous plants!!! :D

This is a N. Maxima from Mt. Apo that I got from DASHMAN...I was told it was a highlands but after a few weeks without growth I slowly introduced it into my flock in the lowlands terrarium....thanks dashman

DSCN8807.jpg

DSCN8806.jpg

DSCN8804.jpg

DSCN8803.jpg

DSCN8802.jpg

DSCN8801.jpg

DSCN8800.jpg

DSCN8797.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

DSCN8809.jpg

DSCN8810.jpg

DSCN8811.jpg

DSCN8812.jpg

DSCN8813.jpg

Last edited:
Thats some beautiful moss and a great setup. Thanks for sharing:)!

Indeed that is some beautiful moss. :D

Your flytrap looks nice now.... but without a winter dormancy, it will slowly decline and burn out. It is inevitable if no dormancy is given. It may not happen now or a year from now, but it will most definitely shorten it's life span. My other concern is that certain mosses are poisonous to CP's, especially when they break down. They contain too many nutrients and kill the plants. I could be wrong about your type, as I am no moss expert by far, but want to give you a heads up so you may look into it further and not see your nice collection dwindle. Nepenthes maxima is a highlander however depending on conditions some can be grown in intermediate conditions. Again, just a few concerns I had and some food for thought. Nice plants!

thats i good call on the moss,,,,who should I ask about that? also what kind should I use?

I think you have a Dicranum sp. of moss. I don't know if they will release any nutrients as they degrade, but generally I am pretty sure that any member of the Sphagnum genus and Polytricum genus should be fine to grow with CPs. They are often found in nature in bogs etc with CPs. Although, most mosses can overgrow and smother small CPs, but this shouldn't be a problem for neps.

However, Some mosses can be a hinderance by forming a tight mat preventing water penetration. This is particularly true of the common mosses that grow in any pot with peat etc. After a while, the plant can shrivel to death and loose its roots as the moss can prevent air penetration and water penetration to the roots. Unintentional, but a reality. I would say its probably best that you keep an eye on your plants in the coming months. If you notice any signs of media degradation or media become packed and tight, perhaps its time to take that bugger out of those pots.

sounds good--- when I put the moss in I left a small spot in each of them for water to pass and also to stick my finger in to check if it is moist,, also I water and mist them from time to time and check to see that water is passing through.
also all of them are growing in 100% Sphagnum and they love it.. I do plan to use a different mix when I build a bigger cage and repot them in bigger pots.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

here is a link to the moss that looks like it with some cool info
http://www.asknature.org/strategy/4b86af781c41ea41d57709c3eeb44d6c

Back