What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

educate me on some utric "prima donnas"

Some recent arrivals I'm excited about:

U. humboldtii - broad leaf - Cerro Neblina
U. humboldtii - clone 1
U. nelumbifolia
U. endresii x U. alpina
U. nephro
U. quelchii

I've read what I can find already, but as trends change with time could you please post your advice on the following variables (species specific please)

Lighting
Substrate
Temp
Humidity
Potting method
Watering
etc.

TIA,
Av

i just got U. quelchii so i cant comment on it. but i have grown U. humboldtii from seed. i dont know what clone they come from but they have been as easy to grow as my U. longifolia. they are slow but steady. i have them in those little plastic condiment cups, undrained, in live and dead LFS. i flood every now and then and just keep the cups wet. i have mine under 160 watts of daylight fluorescent bulbs for approx. 16 hours a day. they are living in basement temps(60-75F) that get warmer(75 degrees tops) during the day because they are in a jiffy tray with a humidity dome. meaning humidity stays pretty high.
100_0161.jpg

100_0163.jpg

Alex

They're incredibly easy to keep alive, even with steady temps. Do not be worried; just keep them with your helis and cephs and you'll do great.

Grow in pure live LFS. It's the best.

I would use a little orchid bark on the bottom to increase drainage.

grow mine (only one---quelchii) in a clear plastic orchid pot. highland conditions. hanging out with the helis and highland neps. use perlite and sphagnum only but thinking i should have used orchid bark in hindsight. the plant isnt complaining though, i can see leaves growing on the sides of the pot as well as the top. initially a slow grower as it establishes itself.

I think the main benifit if the orchid bark is only seen long term as it helps make the LFS last longer.

in terms of making the LFS last longer, that's why im big with the clear pots. they allow live sphagnum moss to photosynthesize, keeping them alive, which allows them to grow and persist and reducing compaction as well.

excellent info, thanks!!!

I dont have clear pots, but I do have a nice stash of 4"x4"x4" aquatic plant net baskets that Ive been using for other cp's.... opinions?
ESU77051.jpg

Av

if only they made clear net pots...sigh. that would be the best of both worlds. your pots would definitely allow aeration which is a plus, and even more growing space for your utrics. im sure the wider grid net pots will allow the sphagnum to grow out of the pot and photosynthesize better as well.

Well, I don't have a lot of experience w/Utric's, but the common sense side of me wonders if the sphagnum growing thru the net pots, and possibly even the Utric's rooting thru the holes in the net/pot will anchor the entire thing together in time???

Not a problem for plants that only have hair-like fine roots that make it thru the netting,
like my waterlilies; but will it be a problem for other sorts of plants?
It might be nice having a pot that looks like the entire pot is made out of sphagnum moss!!! ...until it needs repotting and "cutting" apart that is. Might be pretty cool until then however.

Clear pots would allow light to go thru, allow you to see the utric "underground" if it grows along the sides of the pot, but also allows for smooth removal of the entire thing anytime when desired. Something the net-basket-pot might not.

Just a thought.

Well, I don't have a lot of experience w/Utric's, but the common sense side of me wonders if the sphagnum growing thru the net pots, and possibly even the Utric's rooting thru the holes in the net/pot will anchor the entire thing together in time???
It doesn't really matter because orchidioides die back to the tubers occasionally, and are easier to repot, at least in my experience.

Paul,

I definitely see your point... its only common sense. However, I have read refs where some utric growers have drilled holes in their pots. It would seem logical that this provides a gradient of different microenvironmental zones to form.
Later, some of their plants died back on the surface only to thrive in some of these lower regions. Or other times the growth in these regions surpassed that of the surface.
It would seem like if drilled holes are good, net would be better... but I just don't know.
I have an U. alpina in one of these pots and it's growing all over, both top and sides. So I'm not sure if I can learn much from that example other then it didn't kill it.
And as Jeff said, if it's not going to be a biggie come transplant time, should I try it with these little jewels?

The person that gave me the plants is obviously successful and is also someone who's opinion I highly respect and follow. I just want to also hear what everyone else is doing.
Thank you everyone for this discussion, exactly what I was hoping for... so if you grow these species please chime in

Av

nelumbifolia likes waterlogged conditions.

Okay, there is a ton I could say here but I am going to try and keep it short as my fingers are getting tired and I have a 6 year old bugging me every 3 minutes to "go to the park"

So...

Av, check the Utric forum for my posts, I am pretty sure I still have the "How to grow Orchidioides" still in there. If not it is in the ICPS archives for sure just not sure off the top of my head which month/year.

I will caveat that I did switch my conditions up on them after the article though.

Lighting: 14/10 in summer 10/14 in winter. They like it bright too :)

Substrate: Really open loose media (I used 3/2/1/1 APS/live sphag/cypress mulch/peat and I tossed in some 0.5cm rock wool cube media as well, but not very much). I do not like straight sphag as a media, gets too wet in my experience

Temp: Highland conditions though some can take lowland (alpina especially)

Humidity: Moderate to high. I have grown some on windowsills at ambient humidity and they do fine. The leaves are a good indictor for the most, if they are crisping then they need more humidity.

Potting method: Those net pots you have should work just fine. They will "escape" through the holes but that is not a big deal, they actually seem to like growing that way.

I was not free to do it in my setup but if you have the ability, hang the pot. I talked with a lot of guys and was checking into this before my move and it was going to be my next step in experimentation. A number of species really seem to like the freedom afforded by growing "down" and out. Plus it keeps them from getting wet feet which they hate.

Watering: Water to keep moist but never really wet.

nelumbifolia likes waterlogged conditions.

I disagree with this statement 100%. Too much to type now but the long and short is that this is not even close to their natural condition but is a misrepresentation of it that was published and perpetuated without research behind it. If you really think about how they grow you will understand why I disagree.

Last edited:
Travis,

Now you know Ive already read your cpn article, listserve and your TF threads... :p
But I kept getting the impression that the techniques were still in a state of flux... hence my post
Outstanding reply, thanks mate..... just the way I like it, very little filler and lots of meat :)

I can definitely hang.... that is very easy with my setup

kudos..
Butch

Okay, there is a ton I could say here but I am going to try and keep it short as my fingers are getting tired and I have a 6 year old bugging me every 3 minutes to "go to the park"

So...

Av, check the Utric forum for my posts, I am pretty sure I still have the "How to grow Orchidioides" still in there. If not it is in the ICPS archives for sure just not sure off the top of my head which month/year.

I will caveat that I did switch my conditions up on them after the article though.

Lighting: 14/10 in summer 10/14 in winter. They like it bright too :)

Substrate: Really open loose media (I used 3/2/1/1 APS/live sphag/sand/peat and I tossed in some 0.5cm rock wool cube media as well, but not very much). I do not like straight sphag as a media, gets too wet in my experience

Temp: Highland conditions though some can take lowland (alpina especially)

Humidity: Moderate to high. I have grown some on windowsills at ambient humidity and they do fine. The leaves are a good indictor for the most, if they are crisping then they need more humidity.

Potting method: Those net pots you have should work just fine. They will "escape" through the holes but that is not a big deal, they actually seem to like growing that way.

I was not free to do it in my setup but if you have the ability, hang the pot. I talked with a lot of guys and was checking into this before my move and it was going to be my next step in experimentation. A number of species really seem to like the freedom afforded by growing "down" and out. Plus it keeps them from getting wet feet which they hate.

Watering: Water to keep moist but never really wet.

I disagree with this statement 100%. Too much to type now but the long and short is that this is not even close to their natural condition but is a misrepresentation of it that was published and perpetuated without research behind it. If you really think about how they grow you will understand why I disagree.

wow!! fantastic list you got there mate. damn!! Amazing!! Very very impressive lot. All you need is U. campbelliana and u are set. :D

update

All of the plants have settled in and show growth...
They only had one or two small leafs when they arrived so I think they are doing well

U. quelchii
2 leaves upon arrival, now 8-12 and getting larger
IMG_1899.JPG

U. nelumbifolia
one small leaf upon arrival, now aerial stolons and new much larger leaf
IMG_1900.JPG

U. humboldtii - clone 1
one leaf upon arrival, well this one is very obvious... exponential growth
IMG_1901.JPG

U. endresii x U. alpina
one small leaf on arrival, now two larger leaves
(the newest leaf looks odd, chemical damage like. I think I must have got some fert on it)
IMG_1902.JPG

U. humboldtii - broad leaf - Cerro Neblina
(no pic)
This one I need to transplant, I left it in live sphag to cover my bets... but its growth has lagged way behind the others.

Av

Last edited:
Nice! When're you gonna get campbelliana to show off? ;)

I'm on a waiting list for some seed.... I tried em once with no germination, maybe twice is the charm ;)

and what about you Zu? (tappin foot hehehehehe)

Back