What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hairy hamata??

Here's a couple of the seed raised "red hairy" N. hamata from BE. I like them a lot, but I wonder if they will ever be as hirsute as the plant in Ch'ien Lee's famous photo?
1-45.jpg

This seed raised "regular" N. hamata from BE is almost as fuzzy as the above:
2-18.jpg

Unopened pitcher:
3-6.jpg

And just for fun, this one needs some dental work:
4-5.jpg

Cheers,
Mac

WOW!!!! Those Hamatas are awesome. When did you get them Red Hairy's? They are beautiful.

Wow. I actually like the red Hamata better than the spotted.

Are there any green Hamatas in existence?

the upper pitchers of hamata are green

I can't attest to whether or not your plants will get any hairier, but GEEZ those are some awesome hamata :0o:

Great pictures! Your plants look terrific. It's officially I can't see another awesome picture of hamata without actually having my own, its been like 11 or 12 years of gawking

The hairy hamatas look great.

I've been on a waiting list for 3 or 4 years for one of these now.

waiting list where is that? is it BE? i need to get on this list. nice looking hamatas.
aadam

Oh wow... First time i see an red hamata with no spot... look so nice.... thanks for sharing :D

Your BE seedgrown looks alot like mine......they are rather fuzzy, aren't they? :grin:

Oh, dang. They barely even look like hamatas.

Oh, dang. They barely even look like hamatas.

You mean the red hairy ones?.....maybe they should be considered a different species.....

pitchers dont warrant separate species though, if i recall correctly after looking at my friends plant, the leaf shape and everything is exactly the same, hamata itself is nothing more than a tentaculata with teeth...not that that is a bad thing

pitchers dont warrant separate species though, if i recall correctly after looking at my friends plant, the leaf shape and everything is exactly the same, hamata itself is nothing more than a tentaculata with teeth...not that that is a bad thing

True, kind of like the "queen of hearts" truncata, I guess.

wow! neat plants!! for some reason I prefer the "original" hamata though. very nice, thanks for sharing.

I swear those pitchers seriously look like a really fuzzy solid colored veitchii with hamata teeth instead of a veitchii peristome.

Dont forget that often times they search for the most extreme plant in the type location.
So, what you are seeing is more than likely the best representative that he could find at the site to best describe the species, if someone doesnt want their hairy hamata because its not hairy enough let me know ;D

Perhaps there isn't enough to warrant it being called a separate species but it certainly looks distinct enough to me! At least a subspecies of hamata, in my opinion.

Great photos! I guess by red hamata I was thinking it would be like the typical hamata but with red pattern and teeth instead of purple, the typical form still kicks *** for me! LOL

spectacular Kpg. man!! I would love to get one of those hairy hamata. I find it to be a lot more interesting and appealing than a regular hamata.

Back