What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Propagation Chamber

Hello,

I'd like to share my setup for my propagation chamber - a ten-gallon terrarium that I use to raise CPs from seed and give some plants some extra TLC.

The whole setup:
IMG_9412.jpg

Some Nep seedlings:
IMG_9420.jpg

Some Sundews and live shagnum:
IMG_9388.jpg

Sundew seed tray:
IMG_9415.jpg

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

And a few closeups on my D. ordensis seedlings. Thanks again Homer!:
IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9407.jpg

Jimmy

Ooh, those D. ordensis seedlings are really tiny!

Yep, but they grow pretty fast and there are plenty of them! :)

Thanks for taking the time to share you setup Jimmy. It's much appreciated :).

Crystal

cool man! nice job on the d. ordensis seedlings, only a few of mine have popped up so far. what are the conditions of your chamber?

Trek,

The conditions are hot, bright, and humid. As far as figures go, I don't have any way to tell at the moment. The temp in my house is around 78 degrees according to the thermostat, and I'd say that the terrarium can get up to a good twenty or so degrees higher, especially near those bulbs.

Crystal,

No problemo. :)

Updates!

Here is my terrarium now. Overview:
IMG_9673.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_9675.jpg

Two N. northianas. One arrived pretty beat up, and a replacement was shipped to me.
IMG_9657.jpg

Byblis and N. albomarginata seeds:
IMG_9660.jpg

Another pic of my N. splendiana x ((veitchii x maxima) x veitchii) seedlings. More seem to pop up every week!
IMG_9661.jpg

And a different pot of the same; it's been moved everywhere, from the terrarium to a windowsill to outside. Now it's back in the terrarium.

IMG_9669.jpg

An experiment: three pots of N. splendiana x (Rokko x stenophylla) seeds in different medias.

IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9664.jpg

More N. albo seeds:

IMG_9665.jpg

A troublesome N. rafflesiana:

IMG_9666.jpg

A recovering N. madagascariensis:

IMG_9667.jpg

D. ordensis macros:

IMG_9811.jpg

Algae problem...

IMG_9810.jpg

Jimmy

Thanks Capensis! It's much more packed and organized now, and I can't wait until I get some new sprouts and the N. northianas start to grow out!

Updates:

N. rafflesiana is pitchering, at last.
IMG_1285.jpg

N. northiana is enjoying a top-dressing of LFS.
IMG_1286.jpg

This other one may be doomed, though.
IMG_1290.jpg

N. albomarginata 'Gunung Jerai' is sprouting.
IMG_1289.jpg

Sowed some N. glabrata seeds. I still have a bunch that need to be sown, but I am waiting for my intermediate/ HL terrarium to be completely set up.
IMG_1288.jpg

D. ordensis sizing up, being traded away.
IMG_1295.jpg

LL terrarium light fixtures and cover:
IMG_1284.jpg

HL Terrarium in progress:
IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Comparison:
IMG_1301.jpg

The other one is up! And it's already packed with seeds I've been waiting to sow! (And some pots that I moved from my LL terrarium to make room for more incoming seeds!)

IMG_7338.jpg

IMG_7342.jpg

Quick, Selected Updates:

N. albomarginata 'Gunung Jerai' is really starting to pop up now.

IMG_0050.jpg

N. northiana - It's pitchering! :]

IMG_0043.jpg

D. multifalda - growing very nicely! Thanks CPBlake!

IMG_0045.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention: I suspect that the N. albomarginata 'Gunung Jerai' may have some variation potential in the seed batch - one of my seedlings already has a cute orange-red blush on it's very first pitcher-leaf! Some grow relatively fast, while others are taking a while to get started. I expect to see some nice see-grown plants in a few years!

Looks great! Congratulations on the N. northiana!

Back