What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

good bye old chatbox... hello new!

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date
myflytrap- that is different than what was happening before. (at least the major one) it was jumping up like 5 lines or so....

yes, it's not a competition.. and I've talked to a few people before about talking to themselves, or posting too much in a row (just make it all one post) This new box does have many more controls than the last.... Please don't make me use them :(

I know its not a competition, thats why there are certain people that don't need to sit there and go on and on and on and on...about practically nothing. If it was good info going back and forth, then I would understand, but seeing about 20+ posts a day from the same persons asking "is anyone here", etc, etc is a bit over the top.

Sometimes when these prolific blabberers are on and I'm trying to talk to someone about something important (i.e. what conditions I give a certain nep, trying to work out a trade, etc), not only does a line of continuous, constructive convo get broken up by things like (I KID YOU NOT (unfortunately)), "why is everyone ignoring me", but sometimes these people putting in that many shouts in rapid succession locks up the server or something on my end, and i have to exit my browser and get back to TF. Sometimes that doesn't even work, and when it does, usually the person I'm trying to talk to has either left since it takes so long, or they asked a couple questions/said something I didn't see, since in 2-3 minutes, a blabberer has entered about 50 messages.

ugh I got ninja'd on lol

I do like the new archive much, much better. It's a lot more clear and easy to read.

xvart.

I had to reset my custom text, so by extension the whole box endeavor was worthless...

No, not really!

I... gotta agree... to a degree with what phissionkorps said, it can get annoying on occasion, but since the box is theoretically open to whatever conversation the participants so desire (within reason) i cant say there is anything actually wrong with that, just mildly annoying on rare occasions of especially prolific nonsense.

finch- upgrades aren't always for the "look" to the user... They are often times better coded, with more features, settings, and just plain ole stable. so don't write off the upgrade just because it looks the same. OF COURSE it looks the same. the code was written by the same person... And honestly, how long does it take to set up your "custom text"? took me like 20 seconds...
Andrew

i said no not really, as in that was sarcasm. I understand, that was an attempt at humor. I dont really think that, it was outrageous and illogical for a reason... was going for the so outrageous he must be kidding kind of thing.

Obviously it did not work

oh i thought the periods was moving on to the next subject in this topic... about the general / random chit chat.. sorry :)

Oh, as i said before, no need to apologize, not a problem. I made the mistake of assuming other people would interpret it as i would have. My bad, i was the only "in" person in the joke so i suppose its my fault.

I am also at fault for thinking of it as funny, heh....

Oh, as i said before, no need to apologize, not a problem. I made the mistake of assuming other people would interpret it as i would have. My bad, i was the only "in" person in the joke so i suppose its my fault.

I am also at fault for thinking of it as funny, heh....

I got it, Finch. Of course, my humor is significantly more sophisticated that Andrews. :-))

xvart.

:glare: After update/upgrades I expect some people to be mad anyway... happens every time. Remember when I moved from ikonboard over to vbulletin? I think 65-85% of the people were upset. haha (I'm pretty sure they're ok with it now though) so I kinda watch for that stuff every time I do something... I would never think people could be upset with updated/new software. :p

I'm going to go cry in my unsophisticated corner now :cry:

updating to the new version... all the fixes should be in here... see you soon! :0o:

So is that why there is no chatbox ATM? 3:00 EST

yes. the first update that this topic was about was the one where he rewrote the whole code. This update is all of the major fixes that we and other forums have found, and a few more small features. There is another problem with this release that he is working on right now. It should be back up shortly.
Andrew

ok Thanks. I think that is a pretty cool feature and like it is why I commented.

Glad you're enjoying it :) It should be back up and working now.
Andrew

Question about chatbox.

Maybe this is not something you could do or not. Would it be possible to be able to turn on a feature in your User CP that would make the chatbox follow you and be on the top of every page you navigate in the forum? I like to follow the conversations in the chatbox and surf the threads at the same time. I know a lot of folks are still using dialup, but I have 6 meg DL and it wouldn't bother me to have it on top of every page.

Like I said I dunno if it can be setup like that or not, but still curious. I would use it :-D

JB- you could open the chat in the full page mode in another window? The only way to make it on more pages is to have that happen to everyone. and there are more people who don't use it than do use it (plus the load on the server would be MUCH higher)
Andrew

Oh, and before someone says "This looks exactly the same as the one you installed not to long ago!" Here is a list of the bugs fixed and features added... (although we don't use all of the features ;-) )

Corrected bugs :

- Arcade integration not working
- vBAdvanced integration thanks to stangger5 mod not working (He'll release the new mod)
- Default usergroup color showing empty color for unregistered users
- Timezone malfunctionning for chatbox dates
- Color palette not working in Opera but color does set well
- Error in js_page_jump in admincp on the command and channels pages
- Column size problem in the chatbox in Opera
- Command folder in clientscript directory not well named in the chatbox archive
- Usergroup username color not taken into account in the stats
- Inactive time not reset upon chat sending
- Invisible users appearing in the chatbox whoisonline
- Announcement not working with apostrophes
- Command entered with another letter than / still taken into account has the command
- General channel icon blinking after a delay when warn active and channel changed
- Chats menu opening far above from the position of the icon
- Error in date indication for AM/PM format in the options
- Latency problem on shouts reload

New Features :

- Prompt text in input field at page load to indicate users that they should enter chats in that field (activation by option)
- Easier access to commands permission management
- Chatbox rules button in the chatbox which open a new popup containing the chatbox rules
- Usergroup permission to let, the user that have not reached the number of posts per day, see the chatbox
- More smilies window to let the user select more smilies than the one shown in the chatbox
- Alt on buttons mouseover
- Inline chats remove in the chatbox archives (like on forumdisplay for threads)
- New channel option to set wether user shall be warned or not upon new message in the channel

updated yet another version... contains a few more minor fixes...

Corrected bugs :
- Can see only when number of posts reached permission not working properly
- Image path error for not logged in users
- down9x9.gif not in all styles => replaced by menu_open.gif (I had made my own :p)
- Color palette in acp not working in opera

..... Is it just me or does it freeze a lot? I'll type a message, it may or may not appear, and after waiting, and waiting, and waiting, I have to refresh to get anything new. I type another message, and wait, and wait, and refresh. I realize that it refreshes ever X seconds. I'm talking minutes.

It does this sporadically with no apparent pattern.

Back