What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bat-ivorious Miranda!!

At the NECPS show, Priscilla had a Miranda that stunk like the bottom of a dumpster.. John (the president) had her dump out the pitchers in the toilet so as to not drive away the public.:jester:
Well she dumped em out and lo and behold.... this was in one of em!

mirandabat.jpg

She keeps the plant at Farmer's Daughter's Nursery where she works and I guess that's how it ended up in there at one point or another!

We ended up having to dump it in the garbage outside... the thing stunk! :puke2:

Amazing. That's batastic!

xvart.

Last edited:
Oh god, I tried to forget that smell. Thank you so much for bringing back the horrors of that day.

:puke:

Grossest picture I've seen in a while. :puke2: I knew I left early for some reason.

i remember this. and i was waiting for pics cause i didnt take any! (stupid alex!!) it was a truely horrid stench....horrid. all that wa sin the pitcher was the bat. it took up too much space so there were no bugs!
Alex

Quoque -

You just made my night!! I laughed so hard cause I'd just about forgotten about that - I'm glad someone got a picture.

That was soooooo sick. Looking back, we should have kept it in a jar next to the plant with a little sign!

Awesome. It's great when the plants pick off a mammal or bird here and there. It's a shame you had to deprive the 'Miranda' of the great meal it was feasting on.

Oh wow! Someone DID get a pic! It's a good thing that was dumped out in the toilet, because I bumped my head on that plant a little while later. Could have been really bad for me! :0o:

That was incredible. I've read stories about this kind of thing before, but to see it (and SMELL it) in person was amazing. Too bad we did have this on Holloween!

You shouldn't have flushed it; you should have waited for someone else to go in and see a partially-digested bat in the toilet and let them make up their own inference as to how it got there.

The janitorial staff would still be talking about that one :D

Matt, you have made my week! That was the most awesomely disgustingly awesome thing, ever.

Is that for real?

If so, poor bat. :(

Is that for real?

If so, poor bat. :(

I agree about the bat. I feel bad when anything other than an insect falls victim to a pitcher, and I'm not so sure why. Maybe a bat is more relatable because it's a mammal?

Regardless, that picture is incredible. As bad as I feel for the bat, I can't help but be completely in awe of how efficient Nepenthes are at capturing and killing prey. How the heck did a bat fall into a pitcher? Well, the more I think about it the more plausible it seems. Aren't bats arracted to nectar?

Well bats eat bugs but bugs are near the pitchers soooo.... ??? UGH.

LMAO! that is sooo funny. lol! I had the biggest smile on my face looking at that. lol! Along wiwth that lighting in the loo...it looks like the bat is flying out of the loo. lol!

it is sad for the bat..but pretty cool and also a reminder on how efficient our plants really are. ;) Score 1 Nepenthes... mammals 0. :p

Back