What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Dragon Leaf Pulling

• Thread starter curlingguy
  • Start date
I stuck a leaf pulling into some LFS and waited.  Nothing seemed to be happening and the leaf turned black, then the stem was going too.  I thought I had nothing so pulled the leaf up....found this growth at bottom.
VFTpulling.jpg

VFTpulling2.jpg

What the heck is that?
confused.gif

Um... it kinda looks like some LFS coming alive.

It's a screwed up bud, or several. They should revert to normal soon.

Before I scrolled down I thought you had intentions of rooting the black, dead leaf
smile.gif

hmm...I pulled out my red dragon pulling today and noticed that it died completely. the entire thing blackened.
smile_h_32.gif

How do u properly plant a leaf pulling?

Properly? You'll get a variety of approaches. I have tried putting leaves, basal part embedded in LFS, in one of my pipettte containers. The media is moist and the cover was shut. I had it at a SW window sill. I went 1 for 4 with sprouting. Earlier this year I placed leaves, basal part embedded in live LFS, uncovered, by a SW window sill. I went 3 for 4. It takes weeks and can often look like failure before something shows life.

Here's another picture.....that's not LFS....its VFT.

VFTpulling3.jpg

Grew in a clear cup with a dome on top (actually its a drink cup from a local theatre) so the dome has a hole in top so a straw. Put the pulling in some life LFS and voila.....I think the trick is to use live sphagnum moss and not put too much water in (moist but not full of water). Think put it in about a month ago....just took another leaf pulling and did the same thing yesterday....hopefull it grows too.

I stand corrected! Yes, that is more clearly a cluster of VFT's, very much like what I have. Great job!

My picture came out so lousy that I had to delete it. Perhaps I can make another attempt.

vraev, I stick the white part at the end of a leaf into moist sphagnum peat and leave it alone. It takes a while for the sprouts to show and I have pretty good luck with that method.

As Jimscott mentioned though, there are several different methods. It's just a matter of finding one that works for you.

Nice looking
icon14.gif
cutting you've got going there curlingguy.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot again.
smile.gif

Back