What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mmmm, no, they're not. I wasn't aware of that requirement for adelae. Maybe I'll have to pick up the next death cuber to have two different ones. ^.^

But they may be clones...tissue cultured. I don't know. That's why I want to start with seed :)
Nice pics! I want to have a bog garden just like you when I grow up:).

Well, a bog garden like that is within your grasp! It might take awhile to get all the pretty plants, but the general design is easy to replicate.

Well, i'm def working on the plant part:p.

Nice pics! I want to have a bog garden just like you when I grow up:).
Thanks! Haha, it's not difficult. It's been less than a year that I've been in the hobby, so it didn't take too terribly long either. This is what it all started out as:
15302_100344476678284_100001081951674_1089_1704877_n.jpg

If you're interested in the details of the bog, I'd be more than happy to divulge. ^.^

But they may be clones...tissue cultured. I don't know. That's why I want to start with seed :).
Yeah, I thought about that too. The original one I got, though, was not from a cube, a different company, so there may be hope! It's worth a shot anyway. If it works, great! If not, oh well, one more adelae in my collection of them, LOL.

Thanks! Haha, it's not difficult. It's been less than a year that I've been in the hobby, so it didn't take too terribly long either. This is what it all started out as:

If you're interested in the details of the bog, I'd be more than happy to divulge. ^.^

Yeah, I thought about that too. The original one I got, though, was not from a cube, a different company, so there may be hope! It's worth a shot anyway. If it works, great! If not, oh well, one more adelae in my collection of them, LOL.

Definitely worth a shot. How'd you like to trade one of yours? I already have one that looks different.

I have something very similar atm...just without all the pretty plants???. Mine has nothing but VFTs in it right now. I'll probably fill it with VFTs and start another one for different types of CPs. I love the VFTs...vicious looking lil things.

I would like to know how you put your bog garden together though. All info is good info:).

Definitely worth a shot. How'd you like to trade one of yours? I already have one that looks different.
Oooo, now there's an idea. Your's looks different? How so? I'd be interested, but it'd be my first time shipping a plant, so you'd have to let me know how to do it, haha.

I have something very similar atm...just without all the pretty plants???. Mine has nothing but VFTs in it right now. I'll probably fill it with VFTs and start another one for different types of CPs. I love the VFTs...vicious looking lil things.

I would like to know how you put your bog garden together though. All info is good info:).
VFTs are pretty cool. I think a lot of us kind of... well, I don't want to say "overlook," but we don't pay as much attention to them, a lot of us. Probably because they're the stereotypical genus of the bunch. But they do have lots of variety, and I still think they're the "scariest" of the carnivores. I'm hoping to have some D. muscipula 'Red Dragon' seed shortly since I just let mine flower. I read that they can be self-pollinated, just not with as much success. We'll see! If I do get seed, I'd be happy to SASE you some. Let me know if you'd be interested. Although, are you keeping yours indoors? If so, I know a lot of people's struggle indoors because they do demand a pretty fair amount of light. Mine, even under the crazy light they are, are not as healthy as they could be, for sure. I'm going to attempt outdoors with them next spring. Just something to keep in mind if you love VFTs. Indoors probably isn't the best for them, in the long run.

As for the minibog details. Okay, let's get started!
IMG_4169.JPG

As you can see in that picture, it's essentially two Sterilite brand tubs stacked. I put some filled water bottles in the bottom one to keep the top one lifted a few inches. This allows me to have a reservoir of water a few inches deep down there. In the top tub, I have holes drilled around the bottom, one inch up from the bottom, for drainage. Their being an inch up allows there to be an inch of water in the bottom of the substrate at all times. I got a pump and stuck it in the bottom tub with the reservoir. It pumps to a pipe along the back which, in turn, has four silicon tubes that deliver water to four different parts of the bog, roughly equally apart from eachother. The pump is on a timer for 30 minutes, once every day. So it gets a nice, thorough watering every day for thirty minutes. The excess water runs out the drainage holes in the bottom of the top bin and back into the reservoir bottom bin, simply circulating the water. This both allows for "flowing" water through the substrate and maintains a one inch water table in the bottom of the substrate.

In the bottom of the top bin, I put enough long fibered sphagnum to cover up the holes, so just over an inch. On top of that, 50/50 peat/perlite. There is 81 watts of 5000K CFLs and 54 watts of 6500K CFLs, for a grand total of 135 watts of CFL light. Temperatures are kept anywhere from ~60 degrees at night to ~80 degrees during the day, much depending on the outside weather. It is sometimes colder at night, around 55, but it never gets over 80 as I have a portable air conditioner on a thermostat in there to make sure of that. Humidity is typically right around 50%, with a rise as the temperature drops at night.

Think I touched on everything. Hope it helps in some way!

Thanks, sarracenia21!

Let me know if you'd be interested.
I'd def be interested. VFTs are probably the CP i'll grow the most. I want every cultivar there is. Cephs and purple pitcher plants are something else i'll probably collect extensively. I have mine indoors atm but only because I bought them so late in the year. I have every intention of growing them exclusively outdoors though:).

Hope it helps in some way!
It does. I really like your pump idea. I basically just have the one tub you have on top without the bottom tub and the pump. Looks like your setup works great. Does anyone use HIDs to grow these. I was thinking about putting some of the plants i'm keeping indoors under a 250w metal halide. Just haven't seen anyone using them.

I don't have any personal experience with metal halides (MHs), but I can tell you what I've learned from lots of reading on forums like this and plantedtank. MHs are fantastic for growing the larger plants indoors (provided you have some way to keep the area ventilated) as supplemental sun, such as Sarracenia. Their reach makes them a decent option as opposed to fluorescents. Fluorescents don't reach far enough for the taller plants. The problem, though, is that MHs do produce a pretty good bit of heat. That alone makes them virtually useless in applications such as grow racks where things are pretty well contained. If you had, say, an outdoor patio or something where you'd like to keep your plants but they don't get enough sunlight during the day, that's a pretty good application for for a MH. Indoors can work well, too, when used in an entire room (not a rack) that can be well-ventilated by some means, even a window open. Just somewhere that is well-ventilated in order to make sure all that heat is dissipated and doesn't cook anything.

And I'll make a note somewhere to contact you when/if I get those seeds. ;p

Shipping plants isn't bad. You need boxes generally...though I have had plants sent in bags (and they made it :0o:)

I only have one adalae...well, the other is really small and the same genetics probably. Anyway, I could trade you a nice d. binata var. dichotoma or a d. alicae...even a d. capensis broadleaf. They're all great plants.

Mine just has wider leaves, but probably because it's not as big as some of yours.

Hmmm. I would -love- a D. binata var. dichotoma, but not until I know I can keep forks at all. But I'd totally take a broadleaf, that one's on my want list. ^.~

I don't have any personal experience with metal halides (MHs), but I can tell you what I've learned from lots of reading on forums like this and plantedtank. MHs are fantastic for growing the larger plants indoors (provided you have some way to keep the area ventilated) as supplemental sun, such as Sarracenia. Their reach makes them a decent option as opposed to fluorescents. Fluorescents don't reach far enough for the taller plants. The problem, though, is that MHs do produce a pretty good bit of heat. That alone makes them virtually useless in applications such as grow racks where things are pretty well contained. If you had, say, an outdoor patio or something where you'd like to keep your plants but they don't get enough sunlight during the day, that's a pretty good application for for a MH. Indoors can work well, too, when used in an entire room (not a rack) that can be well-ventilated by some means, even a window open. Just somewhere that is well-ventilated in order to make sure all that heat is dissipated and doesn't cook anything.

And I'll make a note somewhere to contact you when/if I get those seeds. ;p

Ventilation shouldn't be a problem. I have an air cooled hood for it if it gets too hot. I just put some VFT seedlings under a 70w HPS yesterday and it looks like they love the more intense light. Its getting cold here so the extra heat from it is a plus. Only down side is my humidity is going down from the raised temps but not enough to cause concern.

No pressure bud. If you do or don't it's no biggie;). Thnx for the offer.

Upgrade! I added 2 more light fixture to give me another shelf's worth of space. Now I'm ready for those seeds from SDCPs and whatever goodies limeslide is sending me!

IMG_5264.JPG

The rack.

IMG_5265.JPG

Utrics.

IMG_5266.JPG

Ceph on its pedestal.

IMG_5267.JPG

Neps, Mexican Pings, and a couple life support dews.

IMG_5272.JPG

Mmmmmm, fruit flies.

Now time for some real pictures. Inspired by pygo's amazing photography, I decided to pick my camera up, head into the plant room, and *gasp* be brave enough to finally switch the camera to manual mode. I'm pretty pleased with some of the results.

IMG_5181.jpg

I'd been calling this N. ventricosa, but it never occurred to me that it is a N. ventricosa 'Red.' No?

IMG_5183.jpg

N. 'Judith Finn.' I think; unnamed Lowe's rescue, but that's what it looks like to me.

IMG_5224.jpg

Cephalotus.

IMG_5204.jpg

U. livida flower.

IMG_5240.jpg

Random spot from my minibog. So many dews!

IMG_5182.jpg

Another unnamed from Lowe's. I had been calling in N. ventrata, but now it's growing wings. Does N. ventrata have wings? Ideas?

IMG_5223.jpg

P. moranensis 'Tehuacan.'

Please do comment, especially on the "photography" ones - I'm definitely looking for input to improve myself in that hobby. Also, if anyone can clarify the oness I'm guessing on, please do!

Last edited:
Great looking plants! I'm jealous..

Great looking plants!
Thank you!

I'm jealous..
Ha! Don't even, I am so stupidly jealous of your collection. You have somewhere in the ballpark of 234567547 times the amount of plants I do and we've been in the hobby about the same amount of time. LOL. But thanks! You make me feel all warm and fuzzy. XD

Your plants look great. I like how a setup can seem so small when you take a picture of the whole thing, but when you get up close and concentrate on one plant, we get the view of the grower. I love taking pictures of these plants because it's always a challenge to make the viewer experience what only the grower can truly take in.

/rant

Great color on all your plants, and I hope that Cephalotus does good for you!

Now idea on the lowes rescues though... those sorts of plants look so non-descript to me. ???

Your plants look great. I like how a setup can seem so small when you take a picture of the whole thing, but when you get up close and concentrate on one plant, we get the view of the grower. I love taking pictures of these plants because it's always a challenge to make the viewer experience what only the grower can truly take in.

/rant

Great color on all your plants, and I hope that Cephalotus does good for you!

Now idea on the lowes rescues though... those sorts of plants look so non-descript to me. ???
Thanks, Dexenthes.

I'm hoping it does well for me, too. I know it's kind of a polarizing plant where some people have no trouble at all with it while others struggle with it. I'm giving it lots of light, lots of humidity, and lots of air circulation with that fan right under it, so we'll see how it goes. Fingers are crossed, though, 'cause it's such a cool plant.

Back